Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Strange obsessions

I was driving home today after a rather stressed out day and the oddest thing popped into my head. I seen a truck that had some company logo on it and it made me think of my sticker collection that I had when I was a kid.. I was totally obsessed with stickers and business cards..lol. I had this photo album that I had my collection of stickers in and I would haul this thing around to school in case someone wanted to trade. I got all my stickers from my mom, she worked for an oil company and seemed to have access to a tonne of stickers as well as business cards. I know JT you are probably thinking I had a sad childhood, but I swear this was the late 70's early 80's version of the whole Pokeman thing. Some of these oil companys really had some cool cards, one of my favorites, (can't remember the company name) was red plastic and it was almost translucent.. really nifty lol.
I don't remember when this passed but I am sure it was by grade 4 or 5. I wonder where those stickers went. probably in the garbage in one of our moves.
I also remember that I collected marbles before that when I was in grade 2. We used to play under the stairs in my apt building. I was obsessed with winning steelies as we called them, basically ball bearings, and of course the ever allusive cats eye.

Oh can't forget my amazing collection of Duran Duran memorablia. I have probably 300 posters and 4 - 3 inch binders full of magazine articles about the fab 5. I actually still have all of my Duran stuff, can't seem to part with it. JT should remember these cause my walls in my bedroom in highschool were just covered with Posters. I remember that JT didn't think to highly of my boys, used to mock them quite abit if I remember correctly. This coming from the guy who obsessed about bands like Skinny Puppy. He even made me mixed tapes of his music trying to convert me,, never happened. He also spent every cent he had ordering these funky import records..
I never quite got it, but then I got most of my music when I was young by taping them off of Casey Casems American top 40 radio show. Great quality music I tell ya.

Ah strange days..

M

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am that you saved your DD posters and articles! My sister and I shared a room (and an obsession with DD) I wish we would have held on to that stuff! Did you see them in Calgary when they recently played? I endured a 10 hour drive there and a scorching case of irritable bowel syndrome (excitement induced!) to go see them at the Saddledome...it was worth it. I smiled the whole ten hour drive home. I loved John Taylor so much and still do, I told my hubby "I love you, but I fucking LOVE him!" he laughed.

Anonymous said...

You know I missed the show.. Heard about it then didn't think I could find someone to go with me.
Then after my sister (who loved John Taylor as well, She claims I stole posters of hers.. don't remember that.) said she would have gone.. Too bad.
I did see them in 87 at the Bowie concert in Edmonton.. My sister and I went.. It could have been better because they changed all their songs, could barely tell it was hungry like the wolf. It was still worth it to see Nick Rhodes.. Man I loved him. or should I say her. lol
Would have loved to see them back in 84 when they were huge.

JT said...

oh man, I LOVED steelies, and what did we call those solid color ones???? I can't remember. I loved hockey cards too. wish i woulda saved all that shit.
hey, while I love certain Duran songs like Planet Earth and the RIO album, i know way too much about them from you - from you i learned their first ep was camoflague or however u spell it, and there was the sing blue silver video thingy, and they were known as RAF at one time.... LOL I remember you buying "I do what I do" because that one sang it.
but we stil didn't ever look at the lyrics - shake up the picture, the lizard mixture indeed!

JT said...

Hey, you should get some good highschool pics of us on here sometimes.. it would be the cat's ass....
and remember when i left my skinny puppy shirt at your brother's in edmonton and they wrecked it? i am still in mourning.