Friday, April 15, 2005

What do I want to be when I grow up??? God Its me Margo...

This has been one hell of a long week. Not sure why it was still just 5 days just like every other week. But it seemed longer just the same.
Work has been, how shall I say.. Hellish. Not sure if I like what I am doing. Been working at my company for 10 + years, started at the tender age of 24. Didn't really know what I wanted to do at the time, but at the time I was being downsized from the shitty stationery company I was working for (have you seen the new show The Office...? Just like that company).
Not that I liked that job, but it was stable (I thought anyways) got a steady paycheck even if it was 7 bucks an hour.. But they decided to outsource my exciting accounts receivable job out east. So there I was unemployment was looming and I miraculously got a call about a job with the company I work for now.
So off I went to the interview I went (just 2 days after I got my 30 days notice), and wouldn't you know it I got offered the job.
Well this job wasn't a career I had been grooming myself for but it sure as hell looked better than unemployment, plus the kicker was that it payed 14 bucks an hour.. Yea double what I was making. So it was pretty much a no brainer I went back to my crappy job and gave them a weeks notice and off to my 'Career' I went.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed what I have been doing at my job. Never got bored cause anytime I felt like things were getting stagnant there was always an opportunity to move to something new and exciting.. My current job is definitely not boring, definitely is challenging.. But I don't know .. It just wasn't what I thought I would be doing at 34.

I remember back in high school, I had big dreams. I was going to play lead guitar. Took lessons, even won a jazz guitar competition. The bands name was going to be Glorious Revolution, then RAF, I think the second name came from some Duran Duran reference.. lol ( I was obsessed with them in my teens, more specifically Nick Rhodes.. I look back now and realize how come I loved Nick. He looked the most like a woman.. So it was easy to obsess about him/her lol) Anyways I digress, it was the 80's.
I was going to be a rock star. Even was in a band in grade 12, cut a demo. Really the band didn't have a chance, but at the time we were sure we were going somewhere. Played guitar in a country band for a while too.

Well life kind of took over. Responsible people don't play in rock bands, they go to University. So off I went, registered and moved to Calgary to go to school. No real idea of what I wanted to do with the degree. After a year, the money ran out and that was the end of post secondary and into the job market.. FFWD to today..

Sitting at my kitchen table listening to music, with my dog sitting at my feet and writing in my blog.. Strange the way life throws you so far off course....
I think I will go pull out my guitar...

M

No comments: