I mentioned briefly in my post yesterday how I am hug challenged. I thought I would expand on this a bit. Its really quite interesting what sort of contact different people are comfortable with. I have had many discussions with friends about levels of contact that I am comfortable with (which by the way are not many, hence the name of my blog.)
Like when I am in the elevator I like certain amount of personal space which is like a 1 foot radius around my person.
I will not by choice enter into a sardine packed elevator because there is no way I want to be that intimate with my fellow elevator riders, and be subjected to the perfume/colone they decided to bathe in that morning. This is the primary reason I avoid all forms of public transportation as well.. People completely ignore the personal space rule on transit. I would rather walk 30 mins than ride the Bus or C-train for 15 mins.
Anyways back to the topic of hugging. As I mentioned before I am what you would call a 'Patter', meaning when someone approaches me for a hug (and if there is no way to avoid said hug) I will 'pat' the persons back trying to avoid any contact with said huggers body. I think part of this is my self consciousness of my flabby mid section, the other reason is I come from a Hugless background. My family never really were big huggers, so in turn I am not.
One thing I have noticed, is that Lesbians are big on hugging. When I first came out and started hanging out with a lesbians on a regular basis, I noticed they hugged hello and goodbye everytime you saw each other. Doesn't matter if you just saw them the day before, You got a hug.
I never saw this crazy amount of hugging in the straight world that I was familiar with.. I wonder why this is.. Maybe because there is more of a sisterhood in the community and lesbians are just so damn happy to come into contact with another lesbian they celebrate it with hugging.. who knows.
Well I being the 'Patter' that I am, I got a lot of flack from the girls saying 'that's not a real hug' You have to squeeze into the hug with full body contact'. I tell ya this more than made me uncomfortable at first. But with time I learned the proper way to hug.
Well it seems with not hanging out with the Gyrls much in the last couple years I have reverted back to being a 'patter' hence the reason my good friend Kara is retraining me to hug properly again.
While I am not there yet, I am sure with time I will hugging like a true lesbian again.
So if I see ya watch out I may just come at ya with a hug.. :)
Margo
2 comments:
You know, 1/2 of my family is huggy and it's all good, and 1/2 isn't, and that's all good. When u are with my mom's side, people just are normal and only hug hello or goodbye when you visit (only see them once a year or every 2 years). On my dad's side, they are hugging freaks, but it's natural, so it's all good to just stand there and hug for no reason, and you get caught up in it. It's all good.
Well thanks my friends for your support in my hugging issues.. :)By the way Shades. I did notice you moving in on my on the couch.. lol all I was thinking was I hope my feet don't stink... lol
peace out.
M
Post a Comment