Just finished reading JT's latest post. And now I am all sentimental.
JT recounted how our friendship began some 20 years ago(I can't believe its been that long).
Its funny how people connect. I am not sure why JT and I have lasted 20 years while others have fallen by the wayside. I still hear about our old friends that came in and out of our lives(JT keeps me updated) but he was right when he said that we were the constants. Various people entered into the circle and left but there at the core was me and JT.
I think one of the reasons that we connected (aside from our sense of humor and our surly synical outlook on life) was that he had this apparant stability surrounding him. You see JT's parents weren't divorced, the only one of our friends who's parent were still together.
I loved his family and his house. For some reason that house so homey. Probably why I protected it when drunken people kept trying to destroy it.
My household wasn't so together. I had moved out to live with my dad after I had had enough with the stepfather situation. I was lucky I guess that I had somewhere to move.
Living with my dad was definitely a change. I had structure when I lived with my mom. It was stable, secure.
Dad liked to drink. Not all the time, he would do binges. They would last anywhere from a couple days to a week or more. During these binges I was basically running the household, paying bills, groceries etc.. I was never ashamed of this, my friends knew my dad, liked him. So at least it wasn't a dirty little secret that I had to hide. We did get our fair share of beer during these times, Dad never noticed if a 6 pack went missing here or there. (got to look for the positive in the negative right?)
Don't get me wrong Dad is a great guy with a good heart. He just has some demons that he is battling. Even when he was drinking he never got abusive, rather he got all emotional and would say how much he loved me. It definitely could have been worse.
So anyways I think that explains why I loved JT's house so much. Warm stable house, always food in the pantry....
No comments:
Post a Comment