I had a good day on Friday. Got my yearly review and as the title says I am a superstar. I normally am not one to toot my own horn, but ya, I deserved it... Toot Toot
Not sure if y'all remember a year ago at this time my VP basically told my whole team that we were useless. Then we had to go through the 4 hr assessments that just about broke me... Well how a year can change things.
At work we have this fucked up performance management structure.. Basically part of our compensation is based on a personal multiplier that we are given every year. It is made up of a bunch of different stuff but the basic gist of it is 75% of the people are rated a 5 or 6. (this is not like 6 out of ten or anything) so If you got a 6 which is average your multiplier would be 1.0.. It How does this multiplier work you ask??? Well we get a bonus every year which is based on a percentage of our gross earnings.. Right now I am 15%, so this multipler of 1.0 would mean I would get the whole 15% which is cool. ANywhoo
To get above a 6 is not easy, they rate everyone on a bell curve, so there are only so many spots on the curve. More spots in the middle and few on either side. Still with me??
I have been a 6 since I came into this department, and I have been happy with that b/c its like at income tax time, if I don't have to pay I am happy, I don't ever expect a refund... So anyways, unless you have a manager who is willing to back you to get a higher rating its almost impossible to go up. Thankfully after all that shit last february my old manager got the boot.. No loss for me b/c she played favorites and I wasn't one of them.> I am pretty sure it was b/c I didn't have a penis, but I digress.
My new manager is great, has been supporting me and has recognized the work I did this year with a big project that I managed.
So the result... I went from a 6 to an 8.. Now I didn't even think it was possible to jump 2 points on the ratings.. I just about shit myself when she showed me it.. This also means that my multiplier has jumped to 1.28 which roughly translates to 18.5 % bonus.. It may also mean I might get stock options this year and a bigger raise, I am not sure about that, I will find out this week what the final numbers are.. PRetty fargin cool eh??
So anyways, I just think it is ironic that almost a year to the day of getting bitch slapped and told that I was incompentant that I am now one of the highest rated people on my team.. Ironic..
There is a bit of drama that might come with this.. I have this co-worker who will remain nameless (JT you will probably figure out who this is) She has been in this job 2 years longer than me, and the review time is always a drama with her. She always tells me what she gets and expects me to tell her mine. Well its never been a big deal b/c we have always been the same, well she used to have a higher rating but has slipped down to a 6 and has stayed at that. The thing with this person is that she takes pleasure if someone else is lower than her... This was evident last year when she dropped to a 5.. I stayed at a 6 and man was she pissed.. Even told Sage that she couldn't understan why I would be higher b/c she has more experience blah blah.. SO that was a big to do, and she was all upset for a week or more. She ended up challenging it and got some lipservice that the rating was a mistake blah blah it but they couldn't change it b/c it was already finalized.. Well this seemed to stroke her ego enough to sort of get over it but not really..
SO fast forward to now.. She got her rating and in she went up a point to 6 again... She never discussed the whole thing other than she was really happy with the review and the comments etc.. I never asked for any details or anything, just said congrats etc.. At this time I hadn't had my review yet, though I had a feeling that I was going to go up a point from speaking with my manager. Well after I got my rating and it went up to an 8 I was just freaking out.. Wasn't sure how to handle it if she asks outright what I got.. I definitely can't tell her that I went up 2.. She will blow a gasket.. I managed to avoid the situation on Friday, but I guarantee that I will be cornered in the next week about it.. Why can't people just be happy for someone elses success? I would be if she went up.. And personally after the work I did last year I think I deserve it..
So my Peeps.. Should I just flat out lie and say I stayed the same or should I just sort of skirt the issue saying I was really happy with my review and not give a number..???
What do you think?
Margo
No comments:
Post a Comment