Just got in a while ago and thought I would post and pick up where I left off in Spokane. We didn't come across any internet cafe's and all of the motels that would allow dogs didn't have high speed.. I seriously was going through blog withdrawl. I haven't even unpacked my stuff yet and here I am blogging.
So where were we when I last checked in...Ah Spokane
Tuesday July 5th. After the Kinkos we headed in search of a Jack in the box.. Very tasty I might add, and cheap. Bought a couple of those antenna jackinthbox head thingys. Oh and this place had real mayo in the little condiment packages.. So of course I stocked up cause you just never know when you will need some mayonaise and actually it came in handy in this little pub in New Denver yesterday (they only had miracle whip so I ran out to the car and dug through the cooler for the mayo packages, it was like bobbing for apples in ice cold water)...anyways back in spokane. we started heading north cause there is really nothing in spokane so we headed for the border.
We decided to take a short cut to save sometime and of course it was a windy narrow road (most roads that we took were) and we came up behind this US logging truck. Lets just call him the Mad Logger for future reference. I couldn't get past this SOB and every time there was a chance he sped up.. Of course I already don't like him cause he was heading to Canada with lumber (I actually seen a sign that said 'Save US jobs stop importing lumber from Canada), so that whole softwood lumber thing popped into my mind.. ANyways we finally after 30 mins of following him and getting hit by flying debris off his truck got past him. So of course being the smart ass who doesn't think,, I flip him the bird and yell profanities while I pass him.. After I had a few miles between me and the Mad Logger, I came up behind an RV who is going slower than the truck.. well wouldn't you know it I can't pass the RV and the friggin mad logger is gaining on me.. All I could think of was that movie where the killer Semi chased those kids all over the mountain.. I was scared as shit.. Finally I was able to pass and hauled ass to get away..
Next stop Canada.. Yippee.. Or so we thought. We were all worried about the US border patrol, not thinking that we would have any problem getting back into our own country.. Nooo, we pull up and he asks the normal questions then he asks about the dog and if we have the paperwork for him i.e. Rabies stuff . Of course his rabies tag broke off last fall and I haven't bothered to replace it. In fact the only tag meathead had was the one that I made up at Petsmart with my address on it.. So he said he couldn't believe that we got into the US without papers blah blah. He gets on the phone and I was thinking that we would have to turn around and head back south to live with the Fireworks crazed americans.. Luckily he gave us a break and told us in the future to have the paperwork... Onto to Canada....
Next stop on the itinerary is Nelson. I was there a couple years ago and its a really nice place. Apparently its the lesbian hub for the BC interior.. Can't go wrong with a reputation like that. The only problem is that there really isn't alot of motels there so after a lot of calls we found a place that would take the dog. Nice enough place but they had wayyy too many rules (ie NO DECENT (not a typo, these people couldn't spell to save their lives )clothing in the swimming pool, Meathead wasn't allowed to be in the room by himself or be on the bed blah blah blah). Went out for dinner and people watched,.. there are alot of hippies in Nelson. Kinda reminded me of Banff but not commercialized.
July 6th - First day of rain.. so we really couldn't complain too much except this was the day we were going to try to find a camp site (AGAIN). We had tried to camp b4 but always ended up being too late or there weren't any sites available. Not that we brought much camping stuff, a box of cheerios, 1 bowl, 2 knifes,2 spoons, the hotdogs that the US border people took and a pack of buns for said hot dogs. We hauled around those buns for 2200 kms and they are still in the bag.. We should have drawn a happy face on the bag and took pics of the ziploc buns at tall of the places we stopped. . lol
So after driving back to Castlegar for a Tim Hortons, we headed up this windy road headed for a campground. The clouds were pretty black and scary, then of course it started raining.. I don't mean sprinkling I mean pissing down cats and dogs.. Even had to stop 3 times cause we couldn't see.. We end up at the town of Slocan, and popped into the visitor centre where a very nice lesbian visitor centre lady gave us the lowdown on the West Glacier interior. and as well told us that the valley was 'Socked in' for the next 2 days.. So scratch the camping once again..
Headed north to find a motel in New Denver (we did stop for a beef dip and fries and stolen Mayo) but after seeing the accommodations we decided against it and made haste Northward for Revelstoke.
Another 1hr on the windy road to catch the ferry across some lake (can't remember) and ended up in Revelstoke. We ended up staying at the Frontier Motel. Nice place, clean but I swear it was a 10 by 10 room. Really small, but what it lacked in size it made up for in character. (see Pics).
We ended up cutting the trip short by a day b/c the weather was turning on us and no point staying another nite and then driving back in the rain so FFWD to today. We got up ate at the Frontier Motel, took a pic in one of those picture signs (See Pic) then headed up to 3 valley gap. I wanted to go to the ghost town to relive some childhood memories but Rochelles tummy was not treating her very good so we just walked around the grounds and headed back east.
On the way home we decided to stop in at the Takakaw falls (see pics). Really beautiful place, but very cold as Rochelle found out. She was really whiney about the whole thing... lol She is sitting right here so I can say that. We were supposed to have a park pass so of course it was stressing me out so I stuck a Shell gas receipt on the window and hoped for the best. We made it out unscathed and unticketed...
Pretty uneventful drive the rest of the way, lots of traffic and now we are home. Meathead is sleeping. Not sure why he is tired, he had the best seat in the car. Slept 90% of the time..
I am blogging. Think I better unpack my bags and relax for a while.
Blog at ya Later.
Will post some pics of the second half of the trip. Enjoy.
M
2 comments:
Glad to see that the two of you (well, three if you count the Meat!) made it home safe and sound! Sounds like you girls had an awesome time, judging by the pictures, you saw a lot of cool things. Hope you don't drag any of that rainy BC weather this way!
Oh man this shit is hillarious - you always find the backwoods freaky shit! You ever see the movie "Duel?" It's spielberg's first movie, about this dude who is driving across the desert and passes a trucker who terrorizes him for the next day and it's freaky.
Post a Comment