Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Not a happy day

I didn't blog about this on the weekend, but I had to take Dewie into the Vet on Saturday. He had a lump on his front shoulder for a while now. I initially thought it was another fat lump since he has a lot of those, but in the last few weeks it was getting quite big and hard. Well of course I was in full avoidance mode. If I don't take him in I won't have to find out what it is and it won't be bad.. But on the weekend he was starting to really limp and was yelping when he moved a certain way. So I sucked it up and took him in. They did a biopsy on the lump and said the results would be back Tuesday. The Vet also said because of where it is, it is not operable. So even if it is benign they can't remove it... nice..
So as you can imagine it wasn't a very good weekend and all day yesterday I was all out of sorts, not wanting to get the call from the vet, but wanting to know.. Pure denial really...
Well got the call last nite at around 8pm. It is osteocarsarcoma, as you can probably tell that is cancer. Apparently it is bone cancer probably from his shoulder. He Vet said there is treatment for this but b/c of his age and the size of the tumor (which is the size of my fist) it was not recommended. I agree completely, I am not putting him through chemo or anything like that. Basically we just have to make him comfortable. He gave me some pain meds anti inflammatories on the weekend that seem to be helping. He is still hobbling around but he doesn't seem to be in pain..
So now it is just a waiting game. Not sure how long I will have meathead around to annoy and love me.. I will make sure that I appreciate and enjoy the time I have left with him..

M

4 comments:

Devo said...

Hey Margo,

I am so sorry to hear about your Meathead. That is very sad news. My thoughts are with you. Poor little boy.

Anonymous said...

Oh Margo. Oh god. This is what I was fearing for you. Crap.

You need to find solace in the fact that Meat had THE BEST life he could with you and that he was loved beyond the beyond even though he has so many damn quirks! I mean, you let him eat your snotty kleenexes for the love of God, what more could he wish for?!

I wish you strength at this time and in the days to come. Jesus, don't be like JT and keep his food dish for three years, but do mourn his passing when the time comes. Thank God for Addie too! It seems like we are living parallel dog lives, sad really.

JT said...

well, at least we'll always have good old cletus biby or biby cletus or whatever the fuck his name is, for comfort. As the Beatles sang, when I find myself in times of trouble, biby cletus comes to me....

JT said...

LOL, I don't remember telling you about Daisy's bowl, but if I want to keep her bowl with some skanky kibble and a tuft of hair in it, so be it!
biby cletus would approve!