Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fun times at the ER.. Damn traumas



Well y'all, especially JT I finally bit the bullet and went to the ER yesterday to figure out what the hell is going on with my stomach. I had a bad couple of days again this week and am pretty much fed up.


So yesterday I stopped at the DR's office to pick up the test results from last weeks blood tests. Good news I am not diabetic, blood count is good don't have any blood or urinary infection, oh and my thyroid is working fine. Bad news, my stomach hurts like hell. The Dr said she was stumped.. Fabulous, I have the mysterious gaseous disease.. so off Rochelle I go (it was rochelle's day off and god love her she spent it at the ER with me) to the Foothills ER.


Get there about 10 am and its looking good, only 4 people in the ER yahoo. So i register and we begin to wait. In the meantime people are filing in but hey they are after me so I don't care right?? Wrong. Apparently the better at being dramatic about your illness the faster you get in, because after those first 4 people get called other people after me were getting called in and they didn't look sicker than me.. Rochelle seen some of these people getting discharged when I was still waiting on tests, she was keeping me abreast on the ER situation.. Actually Rochelle was hilarious reporting on the comings and goings o fthe ER when she was waiting to come back to see me. there was the Yellow lady,, this lady was freaky deaky looking.. I seen her come in and she looked like a yellow ghost, then back in the ER we saw her get wheeled by my room like 6 times, not sure where she was heading. Rochell was quite intrigued by what people were in for, trying to guess etc.. lol THen there was the crying chinese lady who was getting stitches for like an hour, and bawling the whole time, well not the whole time she would interupt the Dr to ask to use the phone.. crazy, then there was the drunk guy who tried to weasle in ahead of me by the dramatic cramping gestures.. his story about how much he had to drink, when the last drink was etc changed everytime the Dr asked him..


Anyways here is what happened. when I finally got called back (its kinda like winning the lotto, to hear your name being called) they assessed me took a bunch of blood and left this IV thing in my arm which by the way hurt like hell...


then after another hour wait they finally called Rochelle back, they were supposed to bring her back right away, but I had to ask 3 times b4 she was called. She showed up just in time for me to wheeled away for Xrays. The porter dude was pretty funny guy i have never been in a bed being wheeled around a hospital b4 so it was kinda wierd, I said to the porter that it wasn't quite as exciting as ER when they are runnin through the halls.. lol Get to the Xrays and of course I get bumped again by a 'Trauma' man this was the story of my life.. Don't get me wrong I feel for these people, and the lady did look pretty bad but my sympathy level at this point was non existant after being there for 7 hrs..
So the xrays were easy peasy, get wheeled back to Rochelle where I wait again. The Dr finally comes in and says the xrays were clear, the bloodwork wasfine.. blah blah. So he wants to do a CT scan.. lovely Well Its 6pm when the nurse comes in with 2 big things of water with some contrast stuff in them for me to drink over the next 2 hrs.. fuck.. Ask me how my mood was by this point. I was tired, needed a smoke bad and cranky. So Rochelle and I sneak out for a smoke since we have 2 hrs to kill. Nurse didn't like it but she said when I asked her that she couldn't say yes, but she couldn't stop me either, she said I don't know where you are.. Well that was enough of a clearance for me.. Rochelle was stressed, but I a rebel so off we went to smoke.. Came back in and finished the water stuff over the next 2 hrs. Then at 8am the waiting game started again, had to wait for the CT people to call for me.. Damn traumas.. I get wheeled into CT scan at 930. This was right out of ER.. pretty funky, too bad I didn't have my camera in there with me. Would have been fine except the DR left out they wanted to put some of the 'Contrast' stuff in the rectal area.. Fuck.. that was fun.. so that last about 15 mins wheeled back to the room again to wait. Another 1hr and half. In the meantime the pain in my stomach was awful.. from all that contrast stuff I guess. so the Dr ordered up some morphine.. yowsa.. after the 3 needles they shot into my arm I was feeling no pain.. kinda like a body stone..Was really tired too.. I was kinda loopy , changed Clapton's Cocaine song to 'Morphine....' Rochelle got some entertainment.. lol
So finally at 1130 the Dr comes in to tell me they figured out what was wrong.. Thank god, if i had gone through all of this and not had a diagonosis, I would have lost it. Apparently I have Diverticulitis, google it to find the details. Its not serious and can be treated with a couple different antibiotics.. and I have to make sure I keep my fiber intake up afterwards.. I am just glad they found a cause and I know its not in my head...
Anyways, thats my story....
M

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were really taking your chances going to the hospital in Cowtown! That place has been getting bad press! Glad to hear your poop chute will be in fine form again soon.

I don't want to sound like JT but you and Rochelle need to put out the weed sticks and I'm talking right now honey! Get each other the gift of the patch for Christmas. It will be easy if you do it together.
/end lecture

JT said...

I wondered what was up - I am glad you got a diagnosis. My mother in law has diverticulitis. Do you remember Doug and Wendy Whiner from SNL in the early 80s? They had it too. I think you have to avoid seeds and stuff, right? You have to watch your diet.
I am SO GLAD that you will be increasing fiber, because all your low carb dieting you've done through the years has left you fiber-less, and fiber is your friend that can prevent colon cancer, stomach cancers, and dramatically lower your cholesterol. Try to get up to 30 grams a day, but not all at once, or you'll be in pain. Try to mix up your soluable and insoluable. Buy some Gaurdian cereal to start.
Margo, I want you two to stop smoking. Please. Do it for each other. Think of the fucking money. Lecture over.

Anonymous said...

OMG It's like I'm your mama and JT's your daddy...

You listen here young lady! Put out the tabbacky sticks!

Could you imagine how much money you'd save?! When I quit, it saved us enough for Darin and Marci to both do Taekwondo for five years. Yep. I used to blow 160 bucks a month on butts and that is when they were six bucks a pack!

You could get solid gold taps for your new shower or something.

Anyway.