Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Property Management Drama

Last month renter dude Stewart came knocking to say he was giving his months notice. Rochelle took the message b/c I was napping. His lease is not up until Jan 15th so of course he will lose his damage deposit. Rochelle never mentioned it to b/c she figured he realized that b/c he was very apologetic. Blah blah.
So over the last month he has been preparing to leave, and then on Monday night he comes up and asks when we can do the walkthrough and said whenever.. blah blah, but he seemed really anxious like he wanted to get it done and was expecting to get money back. So I said, you do realize that b/c you are breaking your lease that the damage deposit is non refundable. It states very clearly in BOLD in the lease that this is the case. So he says no I didn’t realize that, he said that he thought that since it was only 1 month left he would get some of it back.. I am like well its actually 2.5 mos and no that is why I get leases signed.. duh. Don’t people read legal documents that they sign. I even mentioned it when he was signing it.. he said no problem..
So anyways, he was pissed. Now this guy has been a really good renter, always on time with rent, quiet.. etcc. Except for the filthy bathroom it was great. So I was stressed b/c he was probably more pissed b/c he did all this cleaning for nothing. I know he wouldn’t have cleaned if he knew he was shit outta luck.. good for us, bad for him.
So me being the neurotic freak that I am, I started imagining him smearing feces on the walls etc.. this fear was amplified by the fact later on Monday night, he took off and made a point to prop open the front gate so that Addison got loose… We were so pissed that we were contemplating writing him a note say ‘ I hope the loss of the $500 deposit was worth it, because of you purposefully leaving the gate open, my dog got loose and was hit by a car….’
We never did but anyways I was still freaking out. So yesterday, I came into work and picked up my laptop and then worked from home the rest of the day to ensure the house wasn’t burned down, or robbed or shit smeared. Well I got home @ 1030am and he was gone already, the front gate was propped open again this time with snow and ice. The back door was open..So you can imagine my nerves at this point. I go down the stairs and find the house keys on the floor at the bottom of the stairs.. I go into the suite expecting to see a shit show, but really there was nothing else done except some dirty footprints on the laminate. So I check out the bathroom its ok too.
Of course this isn’t enough to calm me down. I am thinking he will come back and keep propping my gate open just to spite me and my dogs will run away.. so I put on a padlock on the front gate lock, one on the back gate lock, and am planning on changing the locks to the suite entrance.. I was even contemplating security cameras, but that may be overkill..
So that was the drama in a nutshell..
Could have been worse.

Maybe I will go back to a single family residence.....

M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto, kiddo. Ditch the renters!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about it, but the money it alluring. I will be getting 695 rent for the place when I rent it out again. And really I don't use the basement at all except for laundry. kinda hard to pass up. I am thinking of taking a 2 month renter break and not rent it out till the new year though. Will give us time to finish up the laundry room.

M