Sunday, July 29, 2007

Car maintenance 101

I am awake at 430am on a Sunday morning. Lovely. This is even early for me. My tenant started his new job at the airport and apparently must work @ 5 am or something b/c the last 2 mornings the whole family has been woken up by the door slamming. In his defense the door is hard to close, nevertheless Once the dogs are up I am up.
This week started out shitty, I had to go to edmonton on Monday for work and was supposed to be at my bosses place to pick her up at 530am.. Well I turned off instead of snoozing my alarm and woke up at 515am. Shit. So I was running around trying to get ready. I hate when your day starts like that. I did manage to get there by 6am so that wasn't bad. It was a nice drive up there though, took my car, had the top down. Was a long day though b/c we drove back around 3pm..
Oh I should back up to last weekend. I have been trying to get better mileage out of my car, its been really shitty and with the gas prices (premium no less) over a dollar anything can help. So I decided to change the air filter and spark plugs. After finding the directions for the plugs on the BMW, I popped the hood and off I went. Now I bet you didn't know that besides being a master renovator, I am also pretty hand with a socket wrench. It goes back to dad telling me that you shouldn't own a car unless you can change a tire & change the oil (which I still have to do b4 holidays start this weekend). It probably stems from being cheap too, I figure its a waste of money to pay someone for something if you can do it yourself.
The spark plug change went smoothly, surprisingly. I was expecting the beemer to be a pain in the ass to work on but it was pretty easy. I even showed Rochelle how to do it. I did the first plug, then asked her if she wanted to do the next one. Well before you know it she had changed the rest lol. You see the more knowledge I transfer the less work I have to do and I can supervise.. lol Thats what happened with the drywall, now I am exempt from mudding b/c Rochelle does it better.
Here is a pic of Rochelle putting anti seize junk on the plug.


Anywhoo like I said the next thing is the oil change, doesn't look too hard according to the Bmw site, just need to buy the synthetic oil and fancy filter. Based on BMW dealer costs, I have already saved over 200 bucks on the plugs and will save another 200 for the oil change.. Yes they charge $200 for an oil change.. See its worth it to get dirty.

I did notice the mileage was better when I drove to Edm though, was about 9L/100km, which is way better than the 13.8L/100km that I have been getting around town. Granted it was highway driving so we will see how this tank does..

The rest of the week was busy as hell, and hot.. I know I can't bitch b/c everyone is feeling the pain of global warming. Yesterday Rochelle had to work so I took a stab at the first coat of mud on the remaining drywall in the hallway and the ensuite. I don't think I fucked it up too bad, hopefully now that this tape is up Rochelle will add her finishing touches.. so we can finally paint the hallway and rest of the bathroom and get this party finished.
I am heading to Vancouver tomorrow morning for a 2 day workshop.. Fun times. My flight is at 650am, so a coworker is picking me up at 5:15am.. Sounds like a flashback to last monday. This time I can't sleep in though, don't think the plane will wait.
Then I have only 3 days left b/4 our 2 weeks of holidays. We are driving to the Peg on Saturday for a week or so, and after that who knows.. We will just roll with it.

Anywhoo, thats the update, TTFN
M

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you are turning into a mucky muck at work? heehee! lots of travelling of late!
You use premium gas? I'm a low-roller, I just use regular. I think it's a gimmick. (I'm always looking for the conspiracy theory!)
I'm totally envious of your car care skills. The only thing my dad ever taught me was how to pour a beer with no head on it. HAHA! I wish I was kidding!
Travel safely kiddo! Send me a postcard!

Anonymous said...

WHen the hell are you coming home?!?!! I miss my peeps!!!

Anonymous said...

Margolio! Margolio! Where for art thou Margolio?

Anonymous said...

Okay, this isn't funny anymore. I know you're there. I know it. WHY won't you blog goddamn it?! WHY?! I want to hear about the vacay! Post something! Hey, get Rochelle to post it, that would be snifty!