Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Monty the moving man.. Or should I say Hefty man...

Ok this pisses me off.. I had most of this post written already and I went to save it as a draft and it cleared everything except the title... SHITE!
I can't remember all that I wrote about my time living under the garbage man named monty..
It was a freaky deaky place. An old house that had 2 suites in the basement, one on the main floor and good old Monty lived on the top floor. He accessed his apt via outside stairs on the side of the house. this little fact is inportant when I explain why the title is what it is. You see my rent was $ 375, but Monty cut me a deal that if I shovelled the sidewalk and took out his garbage from outside his apt door he would take 100 off my rent. Well being an underpaid worker, I naturally thought this was a good deal . Really if we had a mild winter then I was getting a hell of a deal, b/c really the garbage thing would only be once or twice a week right?? WRONG. This man produced 1 to 2 hefty (heavy ass hefty's) per day. I had to drag these garbage bags down 2 long flights of stairs to the garbage. I have no idea what he could have been throwing out to produce that much garbage.. No clue Maybe body parts?? Thats what I am thinking but I digress.. needless to say this man was a cheap , creepy old man.
Then there was my basement Neighbor.. Lets call him Buffalo Bill.. His little apt was about the size of my bedroom .. My apt was 3 bedrooms around 900 square feet, his must have been 200 sq feet.. one room and a bathroom.. Don't know how anyone could live there, and he had lived there 9 years when I moved in. Paid 195 /mo rent.. He didn't have a car, worked at a daycare.. Really was an odd situation.. He said he lived there to save money for a house, and that was true b/c after I had lived there a year he was moving out b/c he had enough money to buy a house with cash, and get this he bought a new corvette.. Anyways, when he moved out he offered to rent me his basement suite in his new house. Was only going to charge m $ 250/mo.. I thought this was a great deal, the cat's ass you might say.. Well about 2 weeks after he moved out I got a letter in the mail with no return address. It was from Buffalo Bill. He was telling me that due to his strong feelings for me, he could not possibly live in the same house, and that he was sorry for hurting me.. I was like WTF? Feelings? Shit this guy was like 40 something.. OLD for me at the time considering I was 22 or 23.. Totally freaked me out.. Somebody was looking out for me that day, b/c I may not have made it out of that one alive...
The next creepy deaky guy that moved into the 200 sq foot room next door was a younger guy. He seemed nice enough, quiet, worked as a security guard. He came over (by come over I mean step out of his apt and into mine b/c our doors were 2 feet away from each other) a few times had a drink, we went out for drinks once too. Then I got the strange feeling that this guy was jones'ng on me as well.. Why is that I can attract unstable shutin's.. Anywhoo He started acting strange, like locking himself out of his apt, several times.. I think he just used this as excuse to wait in my place for Monty to come home.. Creepy. Then one day I came home I could hear his kitten ( he had just gotten it) screaming.. now I don't like cats, but this was an awful sound to hear. It went on all nite, and the next day after work I decided to go get the key to his place from Monty to see if the cat was ok. Well I ran into his parents going into his place. Apparently buddy had checked himself into the hospital for a 30 day psych evaluation.. Jeesh...
He could have snapped on me as well..

Well it was shortly after this that I got my job at the Telephone company, and with my newfound wealth(went from $7/hr to 13.99) I started looking for a dwelling that was above ground, did not have a serial killer next door and no one named Monty living upstairs..


I did finally find the place, when it was called the 'Franklin Manor'

Well its the end of the day and I will have to leave you all hangin..

TBC.....

M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Franklin Manor....the plot thickens!!

Wow, maybe Monte was a dumpster diver and when he sorted his wares, he could just get you to cart them away? Weird. Weird beyond words.

JT said...

Oh honey, there is no way to describe how creepy the whole thing was of you living there. I really thought you would end up in a dumpster because of either Monty, or the freak across the hall. Fuck me, Dorothy, that was just a bad scene. Sort of like San Francisco back around when Haight/Ashbury got all freaked out and full of Manson Family types instead of lovable hippies.... hmmm, you sure do have a lot of San Francisco in your life, honey... First this Haight dump, then the coolness of Franklin Manor, and then of course the Beanery would be your Castro, except you were much too good to sleep with those women, honey! Really, you were....