Sunday, November 11, 2007

There are reasons I should not be left alone to my own devices...

I am sure Rochelle believes this..
Yesterday Rochelle had to work so I had plans to get a few more things finished in the construction zone.. Nothing major..
Well during my early morning nap I came up with the master plan for the day..
Not sure if you all know that we are replacing the last scrap of carpet in the hallway with hardwood.. you see this ensuite reno is reallly a whole house south of the kitchen reno. The only room that hasn't been touched (yet) is the living room.. In my line of work this is called scope creep.. Anywhoo. The original plan was to put in espresso hardwood in the hallway and eventually refinish the original hardwood in the bedroom the same colour.. but yesterday in my nap planning session I decided it would be easier to just put new hardwoord over the old in the bedroom b/c with all this new flooring it seems every room has a different floor height.. and its getting kinda out of hand.. so if I put in some plywood in the hall to bring the floor height up and then run the new wood throughout it will solve most of this problem.. as well there will be better flow with the same type of flooring material.. Stillwith me?

So off I go to the floor store.. I find the wood that I want but discover that the pieces are 7 ft long, not 2 to 3 feet like normal wood.. (the stuff i bought is engineered hardwood.. Well that puts a kink in my plan b/c I don't think I can stuff 5 boxes of that in the Beemer.. I really needed to get this yesterday too b/c it needs to sit for 48 hours b4 you can install to climatize.. So I drive home and call the Home Depot to see if they have a van rental available. They do so I say hold it please and off I go.. I need to buy plywood and drywall anyways so I thought I would get all the stuff in one shot.. I go pick up the van and the materials from the depot.. Then on the way to the flooring place I call ahead and say I am on my way can you get the wood ready b/c I am on a time limit with the rental.. It was kinda funny that I bought 60 bucks of HD stuff and then use their van to pick up 900 bucks of hardwood from another store.. Atleast I though it was funny.. lol
So I head home b/c I only have 90 min with the van and almost break my back unloading onto my front lawn.. I was so wishing that Rochelle was there to help.. anywhoo I managed to get the hardwood to the front step, I could only drag the plywood out of the van so it ended up on my front lawn..
I managed to get the van back with 10 min to spare ..
I get home and start ripping out the nasty hall carpet.. I had to call Rochelle to see where the extra blades were for the utility knife.. and she was like.. what do you need them for (she was totally suspecting that I was up to no good.) I am like, just doing some stuff around the house.. She says, what sort of stuff.. then I had to let the cat out of the bag.. I tell her she kinda laughs nervously, then says,,, well atleast I will be prepared when I get home.. Lol God love her eh?
So to wrap this blog up, Rochelle came home to all the carpet gone, and me trying to pry the crappy subfloor with 40 year old lino attached.. We managed to get most of it off last nite, the hall is ripped down to the subfloor and looks pretty nasty, but today we will be putting new plywood down so I don't fall into the basement..

Here are some pics of the demo.. will keep you posted as things progress.. The first one is the last piece of carpet, second is my sweety helping pull up the old subfloor and the third is whats left of the hall..



1 comment:

Rox said...

Heheee Margo, you are incorrigible with your love of demolition! I swear it's your favorite part! hahah! I can't wait to see the entire place when it's done(?!)